Tuesday, February 24, 2009

'Tween star Miley Cyrus insisting photo was innocent fun

'Tween star Miley Cyrus insisting photo was innocent fun, not meant to insult anyone

Written by: Karen Benardello


'Tween and Disney favorite Miley Cyrus may just be the next Britney Spears, now that the older pop star has cleaned up her act. In response to the public outcry and the offense some Asians have taken to the latest photo released of Cyrus, which features her and several friends slanting their eyes with their fingers, the singer and actress is trying to assure fans that she did not intend to insult anyone.

Cryus wrote on her official Web site that she's sorry if people took the picture the wrong way and/or out of context. She also wrote: "I've been told there are some people upset about some pictures taken of me with friends making goofy faces!...In no way was I making fun of any ethnicity! I was simply making a goofy face. When did that become news-worthy?"

However, the OCA, an advocacy group for Asian Pacific Americans, did believe Cryus and her friends were making fun of the Asain ethnicity. The group called the picture "offensive to the Asian Pacific American community," and said that Cyrus' actions set a terrible example for her young fans.

In response, Cryus also wrote that with the help of such groups as the OCA, the media is making her its latest target. "I definitely feel like the press is trying to make me out as the new 'Bad Girl'! I feel like now that Britney is back on top of her game again, they need someone to pick on! Lucky me!"

No comments:

Post a Comment