Sunday, November 4, 2012

Interview: Tamala Jones Talks Castle

Yahoo! Voices Interview: Tamala Jones Talks 'Castle,' Written by: Karen Benardello

Maintaining the excitement and unpredictability factor of popular television series is often times a struggle once shows are on the air for several years. But the popular ABC series 'Castle' is still surprising fans, mostly notably with the developing romantic relationship between the two main characters, the title best-selling mystery novelist, Richard Castle (Nathan Fillon), and Detective Kate Beckett (Stana Katic).

Season 5 of 'Castle' follows the title character and Beckett as they decide to continue their romantic relationship. As Beckett decides to return to work after being suspended for finally proving Senator William Bracken (Jack Coleman) killed her mother, she and Castle agree to keep their relationship from their co-workers. But the medical examiner Beckett and Castle always consult, Lanie Parish (Tamala Jones), catches on that her friend is having a secret affair, and questions her about her mystery man.

Jones generously took the time recently to discuss the current fifth season of the hit ABC comedy-drama over the phone. Among other things, the actress spoke about why she enjoys playing Lanie; what her working relationships with Fillon, Katic and the rest of the cast are like; and why she thinks it's important to work with The Rosemary Children's Services and other charities.

Question (Q): You have been playing the medical examiner, Lanie Parish, on the past five seasons of 'Castle.' Why did you initially want to play the role, and what have you enjoyed about the character for the past five seasons?

Tamala Jones (TJ): I had wanted to switch up what I had been doing in my acting career. I had always played someone's wife or girlfriend, or crazy girlfriend. (laughs) So I was overjoyed when I was able to audition for a doctor role, and I actually got it.

I love playing Lanie because she's not just your average medical examiner. She is also the best friend of Detective Beckett, and you get to see her as this human, rather than this person just spewing out medical jargon. You get to see her sassiness and that she's also very serious about her job. You also get to see that she's a big fan of Castle.

Normally, when you see any of the medical examiners on the crime shows, they're just there to give you the information, and that's it. I think Lanie's a lot more interesting because there are so many different levels to her. I really enjoy that about playing Lanie.

Q: Lanie is also known for being sarcastic with Castle. Do you improve at all on the set, and what is your working relationships with Nathan and Stana like?


TJ: We don't improve, but Nathan does. (laughs) But the rest of us stick to the writing. The writing is perfect; there's nothing that I would want to change or add to the writing that Andrew (W. Marlowe) and the rest of the crew come up with. I think they're amazing.

As far as my working relationships with Stana and Nathan, they're great. I love those two people. Stana and I have our girl moments away from everybody. Nathan is like a big brother to me. He's always sharing great stories of his travels and adventures. He's also always pulling pranks on people, especially me. (laughs)

But I have a good time. This is one of the best casts I've ever worked with, and I've been doing this since I was 14. They're some of the best people I've ever worked with in this business, they're great. I love Jon (Huertas) and Seamus (Dever), and Molly's (C. Quinn) like my little sister. I love Susan (Sullivan). If you want to know anything about what the real divas did back in the day, Susan's got some stories for you. It's a treat to be able to go and work and have great relationships with the entire cast and crew.

To continue reading this interview, visit Yahoo! Voices.

No comments:

Post a Comment