Sunday, June 17, 2012

Interview; Harold Perrineau Talks Seeking Justice

Interview; Harold Perrineau Talks Seeking Justice When a tragic event happens to a person or someone close to them, one of the first thoughts in many people’s minds is to seek vigilante revenge on those who have wronged them. While most people fight back these spontaneous urges, there are some who will do whatever it takes to get payback, even if they have to resort to illegal means themselves. This is certainly the case in director Roger Donaldson’s action-thriller ‘Seeking Justice,’ which will be available on DVD, Blu-ray and DVD combo pack and Digital Download on Tuesday. One of the film’s stars, Harold Perrineau, who has experience in the action genre, agrees that seeking justice is one of the first thoughts on many people’s minds after going through a terrible accident, and openly discusses why he thinks so. ‘Seeking Justice’ follows happily married New Orleans high school English teacher Will Gerard (played by Nicolas Cage), whose wife, Laura (portrayed by January Jones), is brutally attacked one night after leaving rehearsal for the orchestra she works for. While waiting at the hospital to hear more about her condition, Will is approached by Simon (played by Guy Pearce), who makes him an intriguing offer. Simon, who is a leader of a secret organization, will have someone kill Laura’s attackers, if exchange for a favor from Will in the near future. Grief-stricken, Will agrees to become part of the dangerous underground vigilante operation. While trying to protect Laura from the truth, he soon realizes that his quest for justice is leading to deadly consequences he never could have imagined. Perrineau recently took the time to generously speak with us over the phone about the what it was like filming ‘Seeking Justice.’ Among other things, the actor discussed what attracted him to his role of Jimmy, who is friends with Will and Laura; what it was like working with Cage and Donaldson and why he enjoys working in the action genre so much. ShockYa (SY): You played Jimmy in the action thriller ‘Seeking Justice,’ which is scheduled to be released on Blu-ray, DVD and digital download on Tuesday. What was it about the character and the script that convinced you to take on the role? Harold Perrineau (HP): Originally (I thought), and I still think, the script is really interesting. I’m a big fan of movies, and (particularly) movies you can go in and enjoy as an experience. That’s what I first got when I first read the script. I just kept asking questions, like who’s that person? Why are they there? Is that something I would do? After I finished the script, I was like, wow, that was a step I didn’t expect. So I wanted to be part of that, and I wanted to be Jimmy. While he’s not the main character, he’s a really interesting figure in this film. So I wanted to be part of it. It was Nicolas Cage and (director) Roger Donaldson, and I wanted to be part of that team. Luckily, I was able to do it. SY: Speaking of Nicolas Cage, Jimmy is friends, and works, with his character, Will Gerard, in the film. What was your working relationship with Nicolas like on the set? HP: It was really good, it was really interesting. From the first time he opens his mouth, you go, right, this is Nicolas Cage. All the memories of all the movies he’s done come rushing back. Even though you know it going in, when you’re standing there, you’re going, this is a voice that’s familiar to me. It’s almost like family in an interesting way, it’s so familiar. So it was really fun and interesting. He’s an actor who just doesn’t stop working. So me loving the craft of acting, I really enjoyed the challenge of trying to stay up with him, and get up there and play back and forth. That was a really good experience for me. He’s really focused in, which made me focused in, and I thought it was a really playing experience. It was really fun. To continue reading this interview, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment