Thursday, March 31, 2011

Rutger Hauer Interview on 'Hobo with a Shotgun'

Read our exclusive interview with actor Rutger Hauer, who portrays the title character in the new action-adventure-crime movie ‘Hobo with a Shotgun.’ The movie, which will be available On Demand on April 1 and hits theaters on May 6, 2011, was based on the fake Canadian trailer that was attached to the 2007 double horror feature ‘Grindhouse.’ ‘Hobo with a Shotgun’ follows Hobo, who is determined to rid the crime that plagues the city he lives in, especially the corruption that is caused by main crime boss Drake (played by Brian Downey). Hauer discusses with us, among other things, what attracted him to the role of the Hobo, and what it was like working with first-time director Jason Eisener.

Written by: Karen Benardello


Shockya (SY): You have appeared in bigger blockbusters. So what attracted you to this role, which is a smaller, more independent movie?

Rutger Hauer (RH): Well, I’ve played so many different roles in so many films. Blockbuster movies, I haven’t done many of those. I’ve worked for the major studios, maybe four times, five times. So the question is not really about the size. I just thought this director (Jason Eisener) was so close to my heart and the story was raw and unusual. I just wanted to know how it felt. One of my biggest concerns was, will director and I know and like each other. But then I had to see what it was like on the set, and what the art direction was, and what the style. Basically, to fit myself to the other things was to complete or ad to where I thought he story had weak spots. Those were the two concerns I had. We just decide there would be more heart in the film if it wasn’t just noise.

SY: How did you prepare for the role? Did you do any research?

RH: I had two guys that I worked with in Halifax, apart from the director, who was very specific in what he was hoping to get from me. Dave, I think it’s Brunt, he was the inspiration for the story. He was in the trailer, in the fake trailer. He was my right hand and I felt I needed to read on it to get the character. He was there every day. Then there was a musician that I liked who was there now and then and he would sing street songs. That was kinda nice too. So those two, and the script, and the director. Then I had (actress) Molly (Dunsworth), Molly’s character (Abby). This one woman in the story that I meet and we end up trying to escape from this city that has turned to sh*t. The bad comes from all corners. We really kind of scrutinized the relationship between them. That’s where the peace came in, and that’s where the dreams live. That’s where the softer part of the Hobo gets a voice, so to speak. It’s an angry movie, I find, angry. Is full of anger and disgust with the world that we live in. He fights for his equality of life. You can never win that. It’s just like that, it’s impossible.

SY: Like you said, the movie was based on the fake trailer. Did you see the trailer before the movie?

RH: Yeah, yeah, of course.

SY: Were you surprised at how popular it was with the fans?

RH: Yes, absolutely. I did not know there was such a following. I woke up very slowly to it. At Sundance, I woke up and said “Oh, my God, this is so wonderful.” It’s very interesting to see the crowd on the Internet, how big it can be, how funny and serious and smart. Very nice, very nice.

SY: Like you said, the movie was at Sundance and it was an official selection. Were you surprised about that?

RH: Well, it was a world premiere. I can’t think of a more beautiful place to have a premiere for a film like this. I just didn’t think it would get such a great response, and I don’t think anyone was ready for it. But the people who knew and where there were up for it. I felt we gave them what they wanted and more. You’ve got to surprise people, you have to take it one more step.


To read the rest of this interview, please visit:
http://www.shockya.com/news/2011/03/31/interview-rutger-hauer-talks-hobo-with-a-shotgun/

No comments:

Post a Comment