Wednesday, January 5, 2011

'Season of the Witch' Cast Interview

Here’s our interview with ‘Season of the Witch’ cast members Nicolas Cage, Ron Perlman, Robert Sheehan, Stephen Campbell Moore and newcomer Claire Foy. The supernatural action-adventure film, which hits theaters on January 7, 2011, follows crusaders Behmen (played by Cage) and his closest friend, Felson (portrayed by Perlman), as they desert their mission to fight for the Church. In order to avoid prison time for their desertion, the two are required to accompany a young girl (portrayed by Foy), who’s accused of being a witch and bringing on the Black Plague, to a distant village to stand trial.

Written by: Karen Benardello


Question (Q): This film is deep-rooted in the Crusades. What would you say makes it relevant to today’s world?

Nicolas Cage (NC): Well, I think there’s enormous parallels to be made in all many different parts of politics, and also religion. I don’t want to dwell on it, I’ll leave it up to you guys to sort out.

Ron Perlman (RP): Very, very good answer!

Q: Nic, your first dialogue in the first battle scene with Ron, the two of you were talking about buying drinks after the battle. That seems like a current-day dialogue two guys would have before they compete on a hand-ball court, instead of in the 1300s.

NC: I think there was some desire on the part of the producers to try to give it somewhat of a contemporary feel, to hopefully make it connect to modern-day audiences.

Q: So it was intentional?

RP: Yes. It was an attempt to draw attention to the fact the last thing these guys want to do, before going into their possible last battle, is to draw attention to the heaviness of the situation. It was probably more internal of what warriors do, than allowing themselves to get caught up in something so negative, doom-oriented.

Claire Foy (CF): In a period piece, everyone thinks the characters have to talk in a certain way in order for it to work. I think that’s not really the case. I think it’s a lot more accessible to people if characters have real relationships and behave normally, as opposed to just playing a knight.

Q: Nic, you had said a minute ago that it’s up to us to look at the political-religious parallel. What made you want to do this movie when you read it?

NC: Well, first of all, I really wanted to be in the forest. I had just done a little movie called ‘Bad Lieutenant’ in New Orleans, and it was very hot. I was in these tiny, little humid offices, and I was dreaming about making a movie in the forest. Then this script came along, and I said “I’m going.” I was in the Austrian alps, which was divine, in Hungary. Then I found myself living a dream, because I had always wanted to play a knight. I’ve been doing it since I was very small, in my backyard. It was my dream. That was really the connection. I like to keep it mixed up. I want to keep trying to find new looks, new styles of movies to work in because its been 30 years now. I like to go into different careers. I’m embracing, celebrating the careers of Vincent Price and Christopher Lee, who I was fortunate to work with. (Lee portrays Cardinal D’Ambroise in the movie, and orders Behmen and Felson to make the voyage with the girl.) I liked those movies, they’re sincere. Those are the movies I watch. I thought, maybe now I should try that.


Read more: http://www.shockya.com/news/2011/01/05/season-of-the-witch-cast-interview/#ixzz1AD7wFuC4

No comments:

Post a Comment